Genevieve took a direct hit from hurricane Irma and we have not received any direct confirmation of how she did or even if she is still a boat rather than a pile of twisted stainless and fiberglass. Tortola was slammed and most people lost their homes, and some lost loved ones, so our First World privilaged predicament is really not that great in the scheme of things.
But I know you would like an update. We currently face three possible scenarios:
1. Genevieve is a total loss. If so, as she is uninsured for hurricanes, we will lick our wounds and our sailing life will be done.(probability 30%)
2. She needs significant repair work done, but Tortola will be months or years away from being able to provide yacht services, so we would be faced with many months or more in the yard waiting to get repairs (probability 50%)
3. The damage is minor and we can sail her away from the BVI as planned in January and continue our voyage through the Windward and Leeward Islands (probability 20%)
Watch this space….